Buying a brand new garage door for your home can be challenging and somewhat daunting, particularly if you don’t know too much about garage doors. Getting your head around all of the different options available can be difficult, but it is essential that you do your research in order to make an informed decision. Security, thermal performance and potential maintenance are all factors to consider – not to mention the different types of doors and materials available.
Whether you keep your car in your garage or you use it to store your possessions, it is absolutely essential that you have a strong and secure modern garage door. And along with security benefits, a new garage door can also improve the kerb appeal of your home. We know that purchasing a new garage door is an investment – and, because they’re not cheap, it’s essential that you choose the right one for you.
With a huge range of types, styles and price options on the market, making the right decision can be somewhat confusing. For your convenience, we have put together a guide full of tips on buying the right garage door system for you.
Key factors to consider Before we get started, let’s take a look at the most important factors that you’ll need to consider:
● Consider Your Needs: Determine the primary purpose of your garage. Are you using it solely for parking, or do you plan to use it as a workshop, storage area, or even an additional living space? Your needs will influence the type of garage door system you choose.
● Budget Before you begin shopping for a garage door, you should work out your budget and how much you are willing to spend. Remember, your garage door will be guarding your home and some of your possessions, so paying a little bit extra for a high-quality door is always worth it.
● Size The size of the garage door will depend on the size of the opening that you have and what space you have available. You should consider the size of the opening to fit the doors, the space available to open the doors and any planning constraints (although this is rare).
● Maintenance required Just like anything, your garage door is going to require some maintenance in order to keep it in top condition. It’s important to think about how much time and effort you’re going to have to spend keeping your doors in good working condition and looking their best.
● Colour and design It’s important that the style and colour of your garage doors complement the overall appearance of your home. There are a range of different styles and colours available, and having a good idea of what colour, material and style you’d like can make the process easier.
● Insulation: If your garage is attached to your home or you use it frequently, consider an insulated door. Insulation helps regulate temperature, reduce noise, and improve energy efficiency.
● Security Features: Look for doors with strong locking mechanisms and security enhancements to protect your belongings and home.
● Maintenance Requirements: Consider how much maintenance you’re willing to perform. Steel doors are generally low-maintenance, while wood doors require more attention.
Different types of garage doors There are a range of different types of garage doors available. One of the biggest factors that you must consider is the way that a garage door opens. Below, we discuss four of the most popular garage door options, along with their pros and cons.
Up and over garage doors Up and over garage doors are one of the most common door styles. The door does exactly as the name suggests – it opens up and over the garage space. Up and over doors come in a range of different sizes, materials and colours and are generally the easiest to install. Strong, durable and weatherproof, these types of doors are a reliable choice – however, as they open out onto the driveway, they are not suitable for properties that have limited driveway space.
Sectional garage doors Sectional garage doors are made up of sections of panels rather than one single panel. As they rise vertically, they do not take up any driveway space in front of the garage and provide a full opening drive-through width. A sectional garage door comes outwards when opening before going up which allows you to park your car right up close to the door – this is perfect for properties with limited driveway space. Sectional garage doors can be automated to make your life as easy as possible, and they help keep your garage both energy efficient and well-insulated.
Roller garage doors Similarly to sectional doors, roller doors open vertically. Instead of going back into the space like up and over or sectional doors, however, roller doors curl up into a roll before the opening. This means that they offer maximum space both inside and in front of the garage. In addition, the ceiling of the garage remains free and can therefore be used for extra storage space, lighting or ceiling bike racks. Roller garage doors can be operated automatically, and they also have strong security and insulation properties.
Side-hinged doors Side-hinged doors open like traditional double doors and allow quick access for pedestrian use, making them perfect for properties that require regular pedestrian access. Side-hinged doors are low maintenance and easily operated, while also looking stylish. As the doors open outwards, side-hinged doors require some space in front of the garage but they provide lots of space inside.
Automated garage doors can be an excellent choice for your convenience and security needs. They eliminate the hassle of manual operation, allowing you to open and close your garage effortlessly. If you appreciate modern technology and value ease of use, an automated garage door system might be a perfect fit for your lifestyle.
Materials to consider As previously mentioned, garage doors come in a range of different materials. The main material options include steel, glass-reinforced plastic, aluminium and timber. If you’re on a budget, steel is generally the cheapest option, while other types of material are more expensive. When deciding which material to choose, it is important that you consider the exterior style of your home – for example, if you live in a traditional home, you may want to consider a timber door, whereas metal garage doors are more suited to modern homes.
Steel: Durable, low-maintenance, and available in various designs. It can also be insulated for energy efficiency.
Wooden Garage Doors: Offers a classic and elegant look, but requires more maintenance to prevent warping, rot, and other issues.
Aluminum: Lightweight and resistant to corrosion. It’s a good option for coastal areas with salt exposure.
Fiberglass: Resistant to dents and rust, making it suitable for humid climates. It can mimic the appearance of wood.
Picking the right size Today, we have the luxury of custom-made garage doors at our fingertips. In the past, there were only standard sizes available, however today, many manufacturers can create bespoke doors that fit your required space. There are a range of sizes available for you to choose from, ensuring that you can find the perfect door to fit your space and complement the aesthetic of your property. Door sizes may vary between manufacturers, so it’s always best to talk to a professional to see what they recommend for your space.
Kay Garage Doors: Stirling’s premier garage door company At Kay Garage Doors, we have been providing reliable, quality garage door maintenance and installation services to the Stirling area for over 30 years. As a family-run business, we are particularly proud of our excellent customer service and fantastic reputation in the area, making us the go-to garage door company for reliable installation and repair services. Our experienced and highly-trained team can carry out a range of different services – whether your garage doors need to be replaced or your doors have developed a fault and need repairing, we’re on hand to help.
We have a range of different garage doors available, including up and over doors, sectional doors and automatic garage doors. We are proud to offer our customers only the best quality products, and stock garage doors and supplies from carefully-selected brands that we know and trust meet our high standards. These brands include Hormann, Cardale and Novoferm.
If you’re looking for a professional, reliable and high-quality garage door maintenance that offers garage doors repairs, maintenance or installation, call Kay Garage Doors at 01786 474 709 | 08000 430 397. Visit us at Unit 1, Phoenix Estate Springbank Road Stirling, FK7 7SG.